Re: nv driver and screen corruption

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 01:08:10PM +0100, Sad Clouds wrote:
> Hi, I'm using NetBSD 5.1_RC3, Xorg is using nv driver with NVIDIA GeForce4 MX
> 440 graphics card.
>
> For quite some time now I have been seeing screen corruption, this usually
> happens when Firefox is running. I'm not sure if Firefox causes it, or buggy
> nv driver.
>
> What I mean by screen corruption is this - bands of vertical stripy lines
> that
> corrupt text and graphics on the screen. This happens quite randomly when for
> example, scrolling text in Firefox or switching virtual desktops.
>
> Has anyone seen this and maybe knows what is going on?

You can search the list for subject: Xorg woes and partial tips, to see
that you are not the only one to have problems with Xorg under NetBSD
(NetBSD 3.1.1 here and ati/radeon driver).

It seems---I may be wrong---that Xorg is going, for acceleration and
performance (game! video!) nearer to the kernel, and nearer to the Linux
hardware way, and that the emulations (pciaccess? and so on) are not
blending well with the kernel.

More and more the plan9 architecture seems right: graphics terminals,
file servers and cpu servers. And if this continues to "improve"
this way, NetBSD and others will have to survive as file server or
cpu server, avoiding workstation (as even Xorg vesa driver is not
perfectly working).

As long as I work in text (console/VT) all goes well. As soon as I try
or need graphics, I start loosing my time...
                      http://www.kergis.com/