Re: "adjusting" / control Swapping

In Message <20100916134111.GA1589%agamemnon.entropie.local@localhost>,
   "Martin S. Weber" <Ephaeton%gmx.net@localhost>wrote:

=>That's not the real problem in my experience. It's rather, long running
=>programs / daemons get pushed onto swap by e.g. the daily process's
=>find(1) etc. boosting the file cache. And then, in the morning, you
=>return to your computer to see it's having a gig on swap and three
=>gigs of free RAM. And it's e.g. firefox that's completely out on swap.
=>And even if you start using firefox again, it does not swap in completely.
=>You have to kill it and restart so that it uses real memory.
=>
=>I.e. memory that got swapped out doesn't get returned to RAM when
=>the shortage on RAM is over. And that sucks. Hard.

   If this is really what you want, you can run "swapctl -d" then
"swapctl -a" on each swap device to force the pages back into RAM.
If you have multiple swap devices, doing this on one device at a
time should be less likely to fail due to insufficient space.

                                        Gary Duzan