Re: pkgsrc observation

Marko SchÃtz Schmuck <MarkoSchuetz%web.de@localhost> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I just observed the following:
>
> perl-5.10.0nb6 is installed and lots of packages depending on it like
> p5-DBI-1.609
>
> % pkg_info p5-DBI-1.609
> Information for p5-DBI-1.609:
>
> Comment:
> The database-independent Perl database access API
>
> Requires:
> perl<5.12.0
> perl>=5.10.0
>
> I have /usr/pkgsrc/packages/All/perl-5.12.1.tgz and for every
> dependency on perl-5.10.0nb6 I have the corresponding package in
> /usr/pkgsrc/packages/All.
>
> Of course, I can neither upgrade using pkg_add -u perl, nor using
> e.g. pkg_add -u -u p5-DBI because, as the man page describes
>
> "Before doing so, all packages that depend on the pkg being upgraded
> are checked if they also work with the new version."
>
> I think what is needed here is a way to specify a package set to
> update as one transaction. pkg_add would need to check that after
> update of all the packages in the set, versions are allowed.

Yes, that would be one way.

Another point on the complexity/cleanliness tradeoff curve is to use
pkg_rolling-replace.  See pkgtools/pkg_rolling-replace and read the
included man page.

pkg_rr doesn't yet have the ability to use binary packages, but it
should, and that would let it solve your problem in a way that will
cause all packages to meet their dependencies *after it has successfully
finished*.
I'm not saying this meets your needs, but many people find that it does.