Re: recommendations of hardware for virtual machine host?

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 03:27:03PM +1000, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
> I'm interested in setting up a host with large amounts of disk, CPU and
> memory resources for creating Xen-managed virtual hosts.  Have others
> done this with NetBSD and have any pointers for me?

I am using Supermicro motherboards and rack mount cases with 8 or 16 hot
swap disk slots.  I've got Areca RAID controllers which I like a lot
(they support RAID6 and remote management over a dedicated Ethernet port).

> I'm also more used to much smaller (<2GB RAM, 500GB disk max) hosts -
> what gotchas are there for running NetBSD on hardware of this size?

I had some problems with 5 TB volumes, but they should be ok now (thanks,
Manuel! :)

  -jm