bluetooth beginner

I have device which purports to be a headset, and only comes with windows
software.

If I bptin -p 00000, btdevctl -sHSET -A and bthset -m /dev/mixer2, I get
"Connection refused". Is this because I have missed something, or because
the pin on the device is not 00000?

(btdevctl presumably doesn't care whether I have a correct pin?)

Any idea how I could find out what the pin is, if it isn't 00000 - all I
have is the windows install disk and obviously the device...

Cheers,

Patrick