questions on switching to netbsd

I'm using FreeBSD on my laptop (pentium, 64 MB RAM) because Linux seems more
resource intensive.  Was hoping to use the same operating system on my laptop
and my newer desktop.  However, I'm hitting issues with hardware support.  Was
wondering if NetBSD would do a better job of running on both machines than
FreeBSD.  I have a Brother MFC 290 printer (that has Linux drivers) that I
would like to get running (even if it's just in Linux compatibility mode).  I
also had an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 which I need to replace with new hardware
that connects either by USB or Firewire.  At minimum I'd need an audio device
that has line in and out and support analog to digital conversion of at least
24 bits and 96 kHz.  I'd also need a way to output standard midi from software
to my organ.  Is there any hardware that's supported and could do that on
NetBSD and if so, what would someone recommend purchasing?  Would appreciate
opinions on whether or not it would be feasible to use NetBSD fo
 r both systems (low resource, low memory and high resource, lots of hardware)
and have hardware running properly.  I should add, at least one machine only
has access to software by sneaker-net through USB (no Internet connection).
Thanks.