Re: Tool in base to query repositories for pre-built binaries

2010/7/27 matthew sporleder <msporleder%gmail.com@localhost>:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Perry E. Metzger
> <perry%piermont.com@localhost> wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 00:16:05 +0300 Stathis Kamperis
>> <ekamperi%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>>> Hi people,
>>>
>>> why don't we have in base a tool (pkgin? other?) that can query a
>>> repository on whether a pre-built binary exists ? Something like
>>> apt-cache search <package>.
>>
>> It sounds useful. I suspect the reason that it does not exist is that
>> no one has been motivated to write such a tool.
>>

> What's wrong with pkgin?

I've just checked pkgin's homepage[1] and it says that it depends on
sqlite3. I guess this would be a reason to not include it in base ? On
the other hand, pkg_search is just a lightweight shell/awk script:
http://grok.x12.su/source/xref/dragonfly/usr.bin/pkg_search/pkg_search.sh

I don't mind if it's A or B. I just want something that works & comes
with default install :)

Best regards,
Stathis

[1] http://imil.net/pkgin/