Re: unionfs and kernel core dumps

Martin S. Weber wrote:
On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 10:31:48PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 10:42:18PM +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
(I am not subscribed to this list, so please cc me in replies.)

I would like to use unionfs for various purposes.
Good luck.  Have you noticed some of the oddities about file and
directory search and creation yet?

The original Ficus paper described unionfs as not-ready-for-prime-time,
the DMFS paper describing the fixes that made our stacking filesystems
work at all said the same thing, and it's basically still true today.

Having tried basing a live-cd on unionfs I can only agree. Don't use it
for anything serious, it'll just burn your time. It sounds great, but
there's a big list of problems. Andrew Doran, Iirc, was once sending
around a compilation of things that need to be solved so it could at
least be considered less experimental. That was a couple years ago. It's
not been resolved since.

Regards,

-Martin
It would have been nice, when some had added the list to the man page on
unionfs. Because we are am it on our server.
I recognizes that the kernel hangs, if you try to unmount the stacked file systems in the wrong order. But besides this, it seems to work.

Greetings,

Michael