Re: sql api for ufs

On 7 June 2010 20:08, George Georgalis <george%galis.org@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon 07 Jun 2010 at 05:07:43 PM +0200, Kees Nuyt wrote:
>>
>>That could be implemented as an appication with a set of
>>virtual tables, backed by the readdir() and stat() system
>>calls.
>>I haven't heard of any implementation, although fossil
>>http://www.fossil-scm.org/index.html/doc/tip/www/index.wiki
>>has a few routines which might be interesting.
>
> Interesting approach. I've never heard of virtual tables.
> Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the backend of
> generating indices or optimizing db queries either. But I
> see what you are getting at, maybe I can work it out.

[snip]

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding you here, but are you interested in
a unified fs/database type affair, similar to what Microsoft attempted
(and failed at) with WinFS?

The Be Filesystem and this interview with it's developers may be of interest:-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/29/windows_on_a_database_sliced/
http://www.letterp.com/~dbg/practical-file-system-design.pdf

Cheers,

Ian