Re: build netbsd5 fail

On 25 Apr 2010, at 22:08, Greg Kerr wrote:
> 1.) CVS checkout (have deleted; cvs -q update -dCP'd a few times)
> $ more CVS/Root
> anoncvs%anoncvs.NetBSD.org@localhost:/cvsroot

Well, those options will give you NetBSD/current not a "netbsd-5" source tree.
Please try this:

cd src
cvs -d anoncvs%anoncvs.NetBSD.org@localhost:/cvsroot -A -P -d -rnetbsd-5

> 2.) i386
>
> 3.) Have tried:
> ./build.sh -U build (with and without -u)

That works for me. Have you tried to remove your object and destination
directory?

> sudo ./build.sh

That's not necessary, unprivileged builds work fine.

> ... and
> BSDSRCDIR=/usr/src/stable/src
> BSDOBJDIR=/usr/obj/build/netbsd-5
> RELEASEDIR=/usr/obj/release/netbsd-5
> DESTDIR=/usr/obj/dest/netbsd-5
> TOOLDIR=/usr/obj/tools/netbsd-5
> MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj/make/netbsd-5
> make -j 2

That's clearly not a good idea.

> 4.) No MKxxx variables in /etc/mk.conf
>
> # Some may be legacy - have been using NetBSD for 10+ years
> HOST_CFLAGS += -O2 -march=pentium-m -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -s
> CPUFLAGS += -O2 -march=pentium-m -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -s

Please get rid of all of those. NetBSD's build system uses appropriate
optimisation
for the build. And they differ for parts of the source tree. Blindly overriding
the like this is a bad idea.

You could use install "pkgsrc/devel/cpuflags" and use this ...

CPU_FLAGS= -march=pentium-m
.sinclude "/usr/pkg/share/mk/cpuflags.mk"

... but I seriously doubt that there will be any measurable performance gains.

        Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                           http://zhadum.org.uk/