strange X11/intel problem with 5.0_STABLE and mplayer

I have spent some time the last week or so building a system with 5.0_STABLE
(checked out from CVS on 2010-04-20) and some 300+ packages.

Alas, there seems to be a weird problem, probably Xorg-related. First I tried
playing
an AVI movie on one machine. This resulted in an error:
X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

and in Xorg.0.log I find:
(EE) intel(0): Failed to pin xv buffer

Using -vo sdl however seems to work OK, if a bit sluggish perhaps.
This was on my R50e ThinkPad.

I then tried the same on a different machine, with Asrock ConRoe 945G-DVI
mainboard.
Here, I got the same error when using -vo xv, but when I used -vo sdl, I could
zoom
the movie to fullscreen by typing f; however, pressing f again to unzoom,
immediately
freezes X with a black screen.
In Xorg.0.log I find for example:

(II) intel(0): Kernel reported 491520 total, 0 used
(II) intel(0): I830CheckAvailableMemory: 1966080 kB available
(WW) intel(0): DRI2 requires UXA
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Device not configured)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Device not configured)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Device not configured)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Device not configured)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
[drm] failed to load kernel module "i915"
(EE) [drm] drmOpen failed.
(EE) intel(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
(**) intel(0): Framebuffer compression disabled

I tried Googling the problem and tweak xorg.conf with various suggestions, to no
avail.

I have now unpacked the binary sets for 5.0.2 on the machine, and using the same
/usr/pkg installation I had built, mplayer now seems to run OK, if perhaps
slightly
slow.

I really wonder what has been broken between 5.0.2 and netbsd-5 that causes this
problem? It seems to be related to the intel driver - but I am really in deep
waters
when it comes to X drivers.

(And here I was so happy that ns-flash apparantly was working flawlessly...)

/Lasse