Re: FFS snapshot on 5.0_STABLE pondering

"Martin S. Weber" <Ephaeton%gmx.net@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 03:02:56AM +0200, Adam Hoka wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 20:54:37 -0400
>> "Martin S. Weber" <Ephaeton%gmx.net@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> > Just a quick question: Is it intended behaviour for a snapshot created
>> > on 5.0_STABLE via fssconfig that the directory hierarchy inside also
>> > extends to the mounted directories beneath? Even without a changed
>> > device id? There is nothing about that in the manpages.
>> > (...)
>> pax/rsync uses st_dev to check what device its on, and it will be fss0 for
>> both /usr and /usr/src I'm affraid. So short answer: yes.
>>

> And /usr/src will also be "snapshot"(ted)? Under the reign of /usr? (to
> stay with the example)

I don't really understand snapshots, but given that it's supposed to be
a copy of a f filesystem, it doesn't make sense (from a user
expectations viewpoint) that filesystems mounted within the snapshotted
fileysstems be cloned at all.  I'd expect to see the mounted-on dir
(empty or not) in the snapshot.