Re: HP Compaq DL385 with Smart Array 6/i

On Apr 7, 2010, at 2:01 PM, Stephen Borrill wrote:
On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Fredrik Pettai wrote:
On Oct 4, 2008, at 12:16 AM, Fredrik Pettai wrote:
On Oct 3, 2008, at 2:29 PM, Fredrik Pettai wrote:
Hmm... I have bad news, it didn't solve the problem.
I grabbed the iso for amd64 HEAD 200809300002Z and tested the boot option [2] NetBSD (no ACPI) . The installation of comp.tgz + xcomp.tgz still gets the - stalled - message then the reach about 79% on the progress bar during the installation process. We have just decommissioned a DL380, so I will try out NetBSD on that one to see if NetBSD runs smoother. (So we'll find out if it's only those DL 385 that have I/O problems).
That didn't went too well. The HP Compaq DL 380 also suffers form the same symptoms
I've filed a bug report on this one "kern/39686"

An update on this pr:

The ciss drivers writes to disk are configured to be able to do up to 1024 writes in parallel,
but only 1 write at the time is performed.
Ragge has been doing some debugging on this pr, and he think he has found the problem. So once he has a fix ready for the ciss driver, he will merge this into CVS.

This seems to have stalled and is still relevant with netbsd-5.

Unfortunately it seems so, but you probably should talk to ragge directly, since I just have random contact with him. I know he has been busy both with parenting and working on pcc (Portable C Compiler).

I have some machines for development & debugging purposes (for both the ciss driver and pcc project) waiting for him to pick up.
He is supposed to fetch them now during the spring...

I noticed OpenBSD updated there ciss driver recently, maybe there is an solution in that update? I haven't had the time to give it a try myself yet, but if someone has the hardware & time, please share your experience... (FreeBSDs ciss driver does lots of "magic" stuff which increases the write performance, but its undocumented according to ragge)

Re,
/P