Help with crashing X server

hi all, I'm running NetBSD 5.0.1 amd64 with the X server from the
install CD (i.e. I did a Full Installation).  I'm new to NetBSD and am
trying to figure out this X server crash I get consistently.

To reproduce it, I start the X server with startx and twm as the
window manager (which one doesn't make a difference) and then I exit
either by clicking Exit from the twm main menu or Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.
If I try to startx again from the console, it will go into X and then
crash within a couple seconds.  This happens every single time, and it
only happens if I quit out of X then restart X.  Once X crashes I
can't use the mouse or keyboard, I can't Ctrl+Alt+Backspace out, and I
can't even ssh into the machine from another computer (I had started
the sshd daemon).

Once I do a hard reboot, I can't seem to find any helpful information
in /var/log.  Also, this happens with or without an xorg.conf file in
/etc/X11.

I'm hoping someone has a clue as to what is going on, or could lend me
a hand in figuring it out.

Thanks,
Adam