Re: Updating NetBSD binary packages

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Dirk H. Schulz
<dirk.schulz%kinzesberg.de@localhost> wrote:
> This is a newbie question, I know, but I did not find much on that.
>
> I have installed NetBSD 5 from ISO/CD and added
> "PKG_PATH="ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/i386/5.0_2009Q1/All";
> to root's .profile. Then I have installed additional packages using pkg_add
> - that means, I have installed binary packages instead of compiling from
> pkgsrc, as I understand it.

Tha'ts nice !!

> Now I want to update these and the base packages. All documentation on
> updating NetBSD relates to compiling sources, but since I can install binary
> packages there must be a way to update binary packages.
> Googling once more I found pkg_chk. The man page states that it checks
> against pkgsrc - that does not sound like tool I am looking for.

NetBSD release a stable branch for pkgsrc each three months, the last
stable branch is pkgsrc_2009Q4
(ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/i386/5.0.1_2009Q4/All/)
 you must be appoint your PKG_PATH to this url.

for updating binary, please follow this explained link in the NetBSD wiki:

http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_upgrade_packages

> Why do I need that?
>
> I want to setup and run several slim NetBSD servers that have only installed
> what they really need. Having to add pkgsrc to each of them is just the
> opposite of that.
> And the other method I see (using a NetBSD workstation to manually compile
> update packages and distribute them manually to all servers) also seems
> inappropriate to modern systems management.
>
> Are these thoughts generally un-NetBSD-ish? Or is there some way to smoothly
> update larger amounts of NetBSD servers?

You also can put a local machine for creating your owns binary
packages locally, the NetBSD guide contains all necessary steps for
doing it, for creating a sandbox and compiling any branch or -current pkgsrc.

> Any hint or help is appreciated.
>
> Dirk

Regards.

--