Re: Netbook support - status update?

2010/1/4 Richard Ibbotson <richard.ibbotson%gmail.com@localhost>:
> On Monday 04 Jan 2010 18:06:09 der Mouse wrote:
>> > My 701 [...] [c]an do everything a full size laptop can do.
>>
>> Including supporting typists whose hands can't deal with cramped
>> keyboards?
>
> Yes. ÂThe 701 did have a very small keyboard which suits my small
> hands. ÂGreat for travelling though. ÂWas a major bonus for me to lose
> several kilograms from my luggage.
>
>> That's the biggest problem with physically small machines in my
>> experience - the keyboard borders on unusable. ÂBut I tend to be
>> Âpicky about keyboards anyway.
>
> My EeePC 1005HA solved the keyboard problem. Â Large keys. ÂEasy to
> use. ÂI'm very sure I could write a novel with it or a complete book
> about some aspect of GNU/Linux or one of the BSDs. Â10" screen just
> does everything for me including the editing of photographs before
> sending them to a magazine for publication.

Yes, I also think 10" is about the minimum size for a device with a
keyboard. The other thing I don't like about small notebooks is
trouble with viewing PDFs. Well typeset PDFs would usually work but
scanned or otherwise crappy documents would often not.

For 7" device I find something with touchscreen (and an USB port for
cases when you *really* need a keyboard or other peripherial) more
appropriate. The opensource support for writing on touchscreens sucks,
though.

Thanks

Michal