Re: netbsd 4.0 iwi0 woes

Jan Schaumann <jschauma%netmeister.org@localhost> wrote:

> > My laptop, an IBM thinkpad x41, used to run -current from quite a way
> > before 4.0 was released, and I was reasonably content with it.  For some
> > foolish reason I thought "hey, you should upgrade to 4.0", and so I did.
> >
> > I built a 4.0 kernel from the same kernel config file I used previously,
> > fetched the 4.0 binary sets from ftp.netbsd.org, rebooted the new kernel
> > into single user mode, extracted the binary sets, ran postinstall and
> > etcupgrade etc. and rebooted.
> >
> > Everything seemed to go ok, only my wifi interface didn't work -- the
> > old iwi-firmware package appeared not to be compatible.  So I installed
> > iwi-firmware3.  And was able to get a DHCP lease from my wifi router.
> >
> > Only... after a few seconds, the laptop would no longer be able to reach
> > the default gateway (or anything else).  Reliably, each time I restarted
> > networking, I would get a lease, be able to ping the gateway for about 3
> > seconds, and then the connection would drop.
>
> Same problem after upgrading to NetBSD 5.0.  iwi0 can't keep a
> connection, when it has no problem doing that on 3.99.15.  So I had to
> downgrade again.

Some more digging into this, it appears that this is the revision that
broke iwi for me (with my particular access point only):

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/pci/if_iwi.c?rev=1.59

I think there was a somewhat sizeable rototill in the code there around
the time of that revision, and NetBSD 4.x and 5.x are dealing
differently with the iwi firmware, but that's the best I was able to
track it down to.

If anybody has any ideas on how to fix this, I'd be happy to test
patches, lest I be stuck on NetBSD 3.99.15 forever (or until I buy a new
access point).

-Jan