Re: Netbook support - status update?

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Hubert Feyrer <hubert%feyrer.de@localhost>
wrote:

> We have a page that documents NetBSD's netbook support at
> http://www.netbsd.org/ports/i386/netbook.html
>
> Are there any new models that are not there that you folks can make a
> statement on the support of ethernet, wireless, X, audio, suspend, etc.?
> Has the support for any of the listed models changed in any of the listed
> categories?

I played with this a bit today.

I have a Acer Aspire One model D150-1165. This has 2 gigs of memory
and a 160 gig hard drive, and the usual Intel processor.

The wireless network adapter is broken, unfortunately.

I have a USB cd drive but I would rather netboot the install kernel.

The 5.0.1 install kernel from the iso image does not detect either
network interface, so I decided to try a current one from
nyftp.netbsd.org.

The CD does detect most of the hardware properly, including the
network interfaces, but the floppy disk install kernel that I
netbooted does not.

I'm trying to install onto a 60 gigabyte iPod. I did install to the
iPod off of a current CD, but the kernel would not finish booting once
I rebooted. I don't know why.

X seems to work (in 5.0.1), but I only tested twm.

When I get more time, I will do more testing.

It's safe to say that 5.0.1 does not detect either one of the network
interfaces though. I don't know if this is a config thing or a driver
thing.

Andy