Re: NetBSD macros

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 07:19:30PM +0100, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:

> > No, you certainly don't have to check which OS you're using a standard
> > API on.  You simply use that feature only in the ways it is compatible
> > with the _standard_ -- eg. in this case with getaddrinfo() you don't
> > try to use it from multiple threads!
>
> Ah, so you tell me to break POSIX, yes? POSIX says it's thread-safe.
> BSDs failed to have it thread-safe for a long time.

Oh, horsepuckey.  Choosing not to use a feature present in a standard does
not mean that one is "breaking" said standard.  Furthermore, one should
note that getaddrinfo() has been present in the various BSD systems for
considerably longer than it's been mentioned in any POSIX standard,
more so with regard to any standard said BSD systems have claimed to
conform to.

You seem quite resentful that Greg actually has the repository of
historical knowledge tucked away in his head that allows him to write
portable code with a bare minimum of feature or version tests.  You really
need to drop your 'tude about that, regardless of who is wrong or right
about the merits of determining the presence or absence of features in
any particular way.

Thor