Re: using a NetBSD host as an iSCSI target for OSX (time machine) (or other mechanisms)

On Nov 16, 2009, at 12:05 PM, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> http://blogs.freebsdish.org/rpaulo/2008/10/04/apple-time-machine-freebsd-in-14-steps/

Hi all,

I would love to TM to network volumes also. However, all these
"instructions" point out this:

"On the Terminal, type âdefaults write com.apple.systempreferences
TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1â.
This is the crucial thing"

Well, to *me* it is crucial that I only back up to something that
is officially _supported_ by Apple. Otherwise the whole point of
using TM is wasted, I think, if there is a seed of uncertainty on the back
of your mind whether it works 100% or just 99%. I don't want
to play games with the backup system. And I don't want to lose the
rights to blame Apple if something goes wrong! :-)

So, I use only USB and Firewire disks at the moment. Maybe I
try netatalk package when it gets updated to these new AFP
commands required by TM.

The short answer to the original question is that you can use USB/FW
disks, Time Capsule or Mac Server. Everything else is not guaranteed
to work, yet.

Teemu