Re: How to update an amd64 machine with raid?

My procedure is pretty much the same as Matthias' but there are some things to watch out for that Matthias didn't mention. See below...

Matthias Scheler wrote:

  0.) Back up (this *does* go without saying, but...)

1.) Put NetBSD 5.0 kernel (with COMPAT_40 enabled!) and
    NetBSD 5.0 sets on the machine.

At this point, just get the kernel unpacked. The sets can be unpacked via ftp without having them copied to the system (see 3.1. below).

1.1.) # mv /netbsd /netbsd-4 (just in case)

2.) Install kernel to /netbsd and reboot.

2.1.) If it doesn't boot, you will need to get at the boot loader
      and use "boot netbsd-4" to boot the old kernel. Hopefully
      this isn't a problem from remote.

3.) Untar userland (don't forget the "p" option of "tar"),
    run "postinstall" and fix all problems, install new
    bootblocks and reboot.

3.1.) Do NOT unpack the etc.tgz or xetc.tgz in "/"!!! They will
      overwrite many of your settings in /etc.

      You can do something like this to get/unpack the sets:

      # sets="base comp man misc tests text" (whatever you need.)
      # cd /

      # for i in $sets ; do
      >   ftp -o "|pax -zrvpe " \
      >     ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/path/to/sets/${i}.tgz
      > done

      OR  if you're working off the sets that are local (like on a
      cd):

      # for i in $sets ; do
      >   pax -zrvpe -f /path/to/${i}.tgz
      > done

3.2.) Retrieve the etc.tgz and, if you need it, xetc.tgz sets.

3.3.) Do etcupdate:

      # etcupdate -s /path/to/etc.tgz -s /path/to/xetc.tgz

      (this will also run postinstall for you, after which you will
      need to follow any instructions it has given).

3.4.) Install new bootblocks. "man installboot" to see how.

3.5.) restart

4.) Re-build all pkgsrc packages (in a change-root).

Your packages will (should) still work. But this is a good step. I use pkgtools/pkg_comp to do the chroot-ing.

5.) Get rid of "COMPAT_SA" in the kernel configuration
    to get rid of that problematic code with the next
    kernel update. The functionality should already
    have been disabled by "postinstall".

I have no idea about this one :)

Louis