Script hardware event hooks

Hi,

I'm trying to trigger a script when a USB drive (with a known name/banner)
is mounted. I'm pretty sure what I'm trying to do has something to do with:

http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?dmesg+8+NetBSD-current
or
http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?syslogd+8+NetBSD-current

I could run a cron job every minute that checks the contents of the dmesg
buffer to see if the drive has been mounted, but I need instant execution.
Any general thoughts or advice on how you might approach this, including
maybe kernel options(?) would be greatly appreciated.

J Cornell