Re: Framebuffer / splashscreen support

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009, matthew sporleder wrote:
On 8/24/09, Elric <elric%anche.no@localhost> wrote:
Hi guys!
 Have you ever seen those nice Linux splashscreen ?
 I would like to have something similar on my netbsd boxes but i don't
 really know how to do it.

 There is an *official* or at least recent way to get a splash screen
 during the boot time, and a way to have a framebuffer (something like
 the vga=792 linux boot option) under netbsd ?

There used to be vesafb and splash under NetBSD 4, but I think they
were replaced by genfb and ???.  Sorry, I've used genfb with much
success to get a more vga-style console but I'm not sure how to do the
splash screen in 5+.

vesafb and splashscreen are in NetBSD 5 too. genfb and ??? are for -current. As for ???, jmcneill has bootloader patches that load a bmp file on -current, but as you'll appreciate this is loaded much earlier on and requires changes to bootloader, boot.cfg and an image file. For my embedded uses, I prefer the old way as it means the image is in the kernel (and can be animated too) and so is independent of bootloader, etc. i.e. you can get a splash screen with a simple pxeboot.

--
Stephen