Re: fssconfig(8) newbie seeks enlightenment.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 02:02:43PM +0200, Anders Lindgren wrote:
>   Dear enlightened community... :)
>
>   I just set up an old PC as a NAS box at home, to get some RAID1
> redundance and be able to share fs between boxes. This got me thinking
> that I should take the chance to protect myself against the silliest user
> errors, too...
>
>   What I would like to accomplish is periodical, fully persistent CoW
> snapshots of the fs in dated directories, rotated as needed:
>
> /storage                - The NFS-exported RAID1 volume.
> /storage/20090817       - CoW snapshot of /storage/!([0-9]{8})
> /storage/20090816       - ...
>
>   I don't quite understand from fssconfig(8) if fss can do this for me, or
> if it's possible at all, but any ideas as to how to accomplish the above
> in a space-efficient CoW manner would be great.
>
> /ali:)

It should be possible.  First create a persistent snapshot like this:

        fssconfig fss0 /storage /storage/20090817
        fssconfig -u fss0

You should have a special file (ls -lo reports snapshot) /storage/20090817.
To access it just do:

        fssconfig fss0 /storage /storage/20090817
        mount -r fss0 /your_mount_point

To remove it just do:

        rm /storage/20090817

Snapshots will never contain data from other snapshots.

Hope this helps (and works :-)
--
Juergen Hannken-Illjes - hannken%eis.cs.tu-bs.de@localhost - TU Braunschweig
(Germany)