Re: problem installing a domU

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:56:58 +0200
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:00:05PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > > Did you remember to mdsetimage the disk image into the kernel?
> > > Xen install kernels aren't modular, because Xen NetBSD kernels
> > > aren't modular.
> >
> > I confess I don't even know what that means, so I probably didn't...
> > It's a standard install kernel, as built by build.sh.  Neither the
> > xen how-to nor the wiki mention anything about mdsetimage, and I'm
> > following those instructions.
>
> Did you build the kernel with build.sh kernel=INSTALL_XEN3_DOMU ?
> that will build the kenrel, but won't build the ramdisk, nor copy it
> into the kernel. build.sh release will (and you grab the install
> kernel from the release dir, not the build dir).

Ah -- I did do a 'build.sh release', but grabbed the wrong kernel.

Anyway, I did it by hand...

> I think the instructions recommend using a kernel from a release
> or pub/NetBSD-daily :)

The official how-to just says

        load the netbsd-INSTALL_XEN3_DOMU kernel provided in the NetBSD
        binary sets. Like others install kernels, it contains a ramdisk
        with sysinst, so you can install NetBSD using sysinst on your
        new domain

The wiki says

        This configuration uses a DOMU_INSTALL kernel and an ISO image
        provided by a successful 'build release' and 'build iso-image'.
        You may be able to locate a valid Xen3 DOMU_INSTALL kernel from
        ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/ but if not, building a
        release is your best bet.