Re: dump won't dump an fss snapshot on netbsd-5

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:14:19AM -0400, Louis Guillaume wrote:

> Juergen Hannken-Illjes wrote:
> >On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 05:28:34PM -0400, Louis Guillaume wrote:
> >>Hi Juergen,

> >>This appears to work properly, however I have no indication that a
> >>snapshot was made or even used aside from this:
> >>
> >>  [16:42:52 EDT] DUMP: Dumping a snapshot of /dev/rld0g (/home) to
> >>/dev/nrst0
> >>
> >>Is it safe to assume that I don't have to create the snapshot with
> >>fssconfig first? And that dump takes care of that for us? It's not
> >>really clear in dump(8).
> >
> >Yes and yes.  You could run "fssconfig -lv" and "systat vmstat" during
> >dump to see a fss device working ...
> >
> >>Another thing - fss in general (both via dump and by itself) is
> >>considered "experimental" but I haven't had much trouble with this until
> >>now. Is this because there has been limited testing? Limited resources
> >>to maintain/develop it? Perhaps it's not as stable on ports other than
> >>i386.
> >
> >Limited testing. While I'm running snapshot dumps daily on all my
> >NetBSD machines I'm not aware of others using it on a regular basis.
> >
> >>I consider this a very important feature and would like to see it
> >>considered "stable". It would also be good to get rid of some ironic
> >>(albeit funny) documentation in the manual, such as:
> >>
> >>  -x snap-backup
> >>     Use a snapshot with snap-backup as backup for this dump.  See
> >>     fss(4) for more details.  Snapshot support is experimental.  Be
> >>     sure you have a backup before you use it.
> >>
> >>... from the dump(8) page.
> >
> >This is NOT meant ironic -- be sure you have a (non-snapshot) dump before
> >you try it.
>

> Jeurgen - Thanks again. I do have one more curiosity...
>
> Did something change in netbsd-5 that would break my old system of
> manually creating the snapshots with fssconfig, then backing them up?

Looked at the source again and found myself wrong:
- fss devices allow multiple opens.
- with 5.0 block devices deny multiple opens.

You were dumping the block device whose behaviour changed in 5.0.

It should still be possible to dump the raw device with a command like

        dump ... /dev/rfss0

--
Juergen Hannken-Illjes - hannken%eis.cs.tu-bs.de@localhost - TU Braunschweig
(Germany)