Re: using dhcpcd-gtk and wpa_gui questions

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
I am looking for a gui client to find and choose networks my wife can use on her laptop as she travels.

It is running NetBSD/amd64 5.0_STABLE and:
/sbin/dhcpcd --nohook resolv.conf --nolink rum0 /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -B -i rum0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

These versions are:
dhcpcd 5.0.1
wpa_supplicant v0.6.4

The rum0 hardware is
rum0 at uhub7 port 2
rum0: Belkin Belkin 54g USB Network Adapter, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 3
rum0: MAC/BBP RT2573 (rev 0x2573a), RF RT2528, address 00:11:50:c1:a9:40
rum0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
rum0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps

(this is an external hardware since the internal wireless doesn't work)

I also have these packages installed:

wpa_supplicant-0.6.7 Wireless connection client daemon for WPA, WPA2, and WEP
wpa_gui-0.6.9       QT GUI for wpa_supplicant(8)
(I updated the package for wpa_gui, not committed yet.)
dhcpcd-5.0.6        RFC2131 compliant DHCP client
dhcpcd-dbus-0.4.1   DBus binding for dhcpcd
dhcpcd-gtk-0.4.0    GTK+ systray monitor for dhcpcd
dbus-1.2.4.2nb2     Message bus system
dbus-glib-0.80      GLib bindings for the D-BUS message bus system
libnotify-0.4.5     Desktop notification framework
(and xfce4 which I think will handle the notify.)

You say you use dhcpcd-5.0.1, but have dhcpcd-5.0.6 installed? I assume base vs pkgsrc. Try using dhcpcd from pkgsrc (either adjust /etc/rc.d/dhcpcd or copy /usr/pkg/sbin/dhcpcd -> /sbin)

$ dhcpcd-gtk ** Message: Connecting ...

** (dhcpcd-gtk:12355): CRITICAL **: libdhcpcd: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory Memory fault (core dumped)

What are the steps to run to get the dhcpcd-gtk working?

Well, as the developer, all the latest dhcpcd* versions Work For Me.
Just ensure you are running the latest versions. If you're not running -current, then prefer the version in pkgsrc.

And is the dhcpcd-ui the same program? (Maybe old name?)

Yes. dhcpcd-gtk became dhcpcd-ui -although pkgsrc just has dhcpcd-gtk using the dhcpcd-ui tarball.
When I get the time, qt and etk front ends will be added.

Once I have dhcpcd-gtk working, should I consider not using wpa_gui?

Depends.
dhcpcd-gtk is very simplistic, but also more friendly. Probably better for your wife if you can get dhcpcd-gtk to work. My wife prefers it ;)

Do I need to run a newer wpa_supplicant? (Note I have one in pkgsrc but not running.) Or Should I install a newer version of wpa_supplicant?

Should not matter.

Also she will also be using pppd as an alternative by connection through a phone device. What is best way to turn off or make the wpa_supplicant/dhcpcd combination not affect the network when using pppd?
(Any way using a gui?)

I haven't used a gui for PPP in a long time and I am not sure I can if it uses a different configuration that I already have working with pppd.

To re-explain my goal in different words: allow my wife to get her network connection up and going without my assistance and without using shell commands and manually editing text configuration files :)

Well, dhcpcd works fine with PPP also.
The only crux is DNS - if both dhcpcd and PPP have an active interface, which wins? I can't answer that, and it's hard for you to as well unless you install net/openresolv and plug PPP into that.

Thanks

Roy