Re: suspend questions

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 07:57:34 -0500 (CDT)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost> wrote:

> I have a Dell D610 which is listed on
> http://wiki.netbsd.se/Suspend_to_RAM
>
> I haven't tested yet, because need to upgrade from 4.0 first.
>
> How do you suspend? I heard about sysctls that are used to trigger it.
>
> I read that I may need to run vbetool to turn my display back on. How
> do I trigger that? I have powerd running ... any sensor/trigger to
> identify the unsuspend?

Look at /etc/powerd/scripts/* -- they're supposed to handle all of
that.  Briefly, they do some housekeeping, then do the magic sysctl
(machdep.sleep_state=3)

Btw -- the default script for 'close lid' doesn't suspend, as I recall,
but it's easy to change.

> Also I don't even know how to unsuspend. Just press power button?
> Open laptop lid?

Platform-dependent, but that's generally it.  On my Thinkpad, hitting
the Fn key will work, too.

> Any instructions or examples would be useful.
>
> Also what about suspend to disk? I can't find any docs on that, but I
> found many postings about it working or not working.

As far as I know, there's no support for that in NetBSD.