Re: NetBSD on netbooks/nettops

Hello Elric,

On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 02:51:28PM +0200, Elric wrote:
> Most popular netbooks/nettops are, of course, eeepcs (701, 90x, 1000xx
> and so on)... what about them ?
I have an Eee PC 900 and I'm pretty happy with it. NetBSD 5.0 is
supported (except you need to apply a patch for ath(4)), lii(4),
uvideo(4), SD reader and so on work without any problem.

If you'd like to use Fn + F2 (to turn on and off the wireless card) you
need this patch too:

 http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/jmcneill/ppb-hotplug.patch

The only problems with it IMO are: the SSD performance and suspend to
ram problems (if and only if I'm using lii(4)).

> I would like anyone who follows this mailing list and owns a
> nettop/netbook to write his opinions (including, of course, what
> hardware owns) so that i can better choose a netbook/nettop and create
> some webpages on the NetBSD wiki.
There are various interesting pages that probably will help you and if
you can please add informations there:

 o http://www.netbsd.org/ports/i386/netbook.html
 o http://wiki.netbsd.se/Laptops%2C_notebooks%2C_portables_and_NetBSD

and about installation (using USB stick):

 o http://www.bsdnexus.com/NetBSD_onastick/
 o http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install_NetBSD_from_an_USB_Memory_Stick

However, AFAIK Eee PC 901 and 1000* wireless devices (ral(4) IIRC)
aren't supported (but I'm not completely sure, the former page list
them as supported the wiki article that provides a dmesg clearly list
them as not supported (yet)).

BTW, good luck Elric!

Ciao, Leonardo
--