dhclient 3.1.2 on NetBSD/i386 5.0

The other day I installed dhcp-3.1.2 on a NetBSD/i386 5.0 machine and tried to use dhclient, something I'd never tried before, having previously only assigned a static IP and run the dhcpd daemon after upgrading from the version that came with NetBSD. It didn't work. Here is some of the console output during booting:

IPv6 mode: host
Configuring network interfaces: vr0.
Adding interface aliases:.
Starting dhclient.
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.2
Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Can't get interface flags for : Device not configured

If you did not get this software from ftp.isc.org, please
get the latest from ftp.isc.org and install that before
requesting help.

If you did get this software from ftp.isc.org and have not
yet read the README, please read it before requesting help.
If you intend to request help from the dhcp-server%isc.org@localhost
mailing list, please read the section on the README about
submitting bug reports and requests for help.

Please do not under any circumstances send requests for
help directly to the authors of this software - please
send them to the appropriate mailing list as described in
the README file.

exiting.
Building databases: dev, utmp, utmpx done
Starting syslogd.
Checking for core dump...

A couple of times (on a different machine) I've seen a few seemingly random characters after "Can't get interface flags for :".

Here is console output typical of that seen when using the dhclient which comes with the system:

IPv6 mode: host
Configuring network interfaces: vr0.
Adding interface aliases:.
Starting dhclient.
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.3
Copyright 2004-2005 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

Listening on BPF/vr0/00:05:5d:6a:b8:e6
Sending on   BPF/vr0/00:05:5d:6a:b8:e6
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPREQUEST on vr0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPNAK from 192.168.36.24
DHCPDISCOVER on vr0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.36.24
DHCPREQUEST on vr0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.36.24
bound to 192.168.36.205 -- renewal in 1374 seconds.
Building databases: dev, utmp, utmpx done
Starting syslogd.
Checking for core dump...

Replacing the files /sbin/dhclient and /sbin/dhclient-script which were installed as part of dhcp-3.1.2 with ones from NetBSD's base.tgz installation file got it working again. I tried replacing just the original /sbin/dhclient with 3.1.2's, leaving the original /sbin/dhclient-script intact, but that didn't work, it showed the same symptoms as above.

Is the dhclient shipped as part of NetBSD the standard one from the ISC (in which case it seems there's a problem in ISC's dhcp-3.1.2 client) or is it modified from the ISC sources (in which case I've tried to do something I shouldn't have)?

(I posted this query to dhcp-users%lists.isc.org@localhost but received no
response.)

Ray