Re: USB sd's do not attach

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 09:27:31AM -0400, George E Sollish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an IBM Z pro Intellistation running 5.0 amd64.  It's a fresh
> install and I'm loading lots of software, building from pkgsrc.  When I
> started usb sticks whould be detected and attach as sd's.  Now, several
> days and a few reboots later, usb sticks are recognized when inserted --
> the vendor ids are correctly read and reported to dmesg -- but they don't
> attach, only a 'not configured' is reported.  The same usb sticks (four,
> from two manufacturers) are identified, attached and read/written by my
> FreeBSD and linux boxes, so it's not the sticks or the files on them.  I
> can also attach a wireless mouse to the usb ports being used, so it's not
> the ports.
>
> It appears that something has removed the system's ability to recognize
> the sticks as sd devices.  Any idea what I did and how to repair it?

Did you rebuild a custom kernel ? If so make sure you still have
scsibus* at scsi?
sd*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?
atapibus* at atapi?
sd*     at atapibus? drive ? flags 0x0000
umass*  at uhub? port ? configuration ? interface ?
wd*     at umass?

in your kernel config file

Manuel.Bouyer%lip6.fr@localhost