Re: binary packages on a DVD?

Dear Andrew,

Having found this lack of a packages DVD rather
unfortunate, I created a list of packages which
would fit in one 700MB CD. You can see it on my
mail with the subject "packages CD list" from
4th May 2009 sent to netbsd-users%netbsd.org@localhost, I
can forward it to you if you cannot find it.

All dependencies are resolved but for one for
VLC, which was not there in a compiled form -
use "-f" as pkg_add's option when you install
vlc. In fact, some packages are superfluous
there, as f.e. brasero - it simply doesn't
work (but cdrtools do). Maybe you can dowload
the packages somewhere, or maybe some friend can
get them for you - after all, he would have all
the names he would need for a wget...

I guess the problem is that while everyone has
internet for the occasional e-mail, not everyone
has internet all the time just for NetBSD.
However, I tried to put on my CD list as much
"popular desktop stuff" as would fit in. My
window managers are a bit non-standard, but
believe me, Windowmaker is rather nice and even
graphically configurable, while jwm may need a
text file, but it is actually easy to do and
well-commented in the existing example file.
JWM has the lowest memory requirements of all
WMs according to some little research I did on
the net a year or two ago (less than twm, the
default), so it should serve your needs even on
older machines.

Kind regards,

Nino

-------- Original-Nachricht --------