Re: 4.0.1 -> 5.0

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Christos Zoulas <christos%zoulas.com@localhost>
wrote:
> On May 4, 12:34pm, nealhogan%gmail.com@localhost (Neal Hogan) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: 4.0.1 -> 5.0
>
> | On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Christos Zoulas
> <christos%zoulas.com@localhost> wrote=
> | :
> | > On May 3, =A04:44pm, nealhogan%gmail.com@localhost (Neal Hogan) wrote:
> | > -- Subject: Re: 4.0.1 -> 5.0

> | > |

> | > I'd start disabling devices with
> | > boot -d
> | > disable foo
> |
> | Any plan of attack? Likely causes? Where to start and proceed?
> |
> | I sincerely would like to help, but don't want to spend my day
> | rebooting my machine . . . it's not my main computer.
> |
> | Thanks!
> |

> | Also, you meant *boot -c*, right?
>
> Yes. There are two approaches:
>        1. disable most of the devices you really don't need and see if
>           that fixes the problem.
>        2. disable the clock source related devices one by one.

Well, I got it to boot by disabling audio. The boot still takes a long
time (longer than a normal 4.0.1 boot) and logging in as root is
heading into the unbearable . . . after waiting 10 minutes after
entering *root* as the login name,I have yet to get a password prompt.

I suppose the next suggestion will be try disabling audio with other
things. I have eliminated cd, midi, attimer, com, fd, and npx (all
were basically chosen at random).

--
www.nealhogan.net          www.lambdaserver.com