Re: mentor for user friendly and intelligent shell project

Dear Mahaveer,

Am Freitag 03 April 2009 schrieb mahaveer jain:
> I  have idea about making intelligent and user friendly shell.I will be
> very thankful if your organisation  can mentor  my project during GSOC.

did you ever takes a look on the "fish" project?
-> http://fishshell.org/

>   1.  Suppose someone want to connect to internet using dial up .
> He/She has to first configure wvdial.conf where he/she has to write
> modem type, user name ,password  and then execute wvdial command to
> start connection .For an inexperienced user, it will be good if system
> can support him/her for performing these tasks by either guiding or

From my view this is no good idea because this it is not the job of a shell to
do system and / or network configurations.

There are some quite good open source operating system distributions out with
a set of very user friendly config tools (graphical or ncurses) for such
system setup tasks to make configurations easy as possible for the end user.

To reach your idea you have to build your own set of system configuration
utilities bundled with your shell - but,

secondly there is no standardized configuration interface under the different
OS - most of them have their own central configuration utilities (or a set
of) - some of them are easier to use - some of them less and a lot of things
have different configuration files on different distributions..

Thirdly there are often "different ways to rome" - means, there are different
solutions or applications which are doing (nearly) the same for a beginners
view. I.e. a "dialup" connection could be modem, ISDN, mobile - "graphic GUI"
could be done by different window managers and servers etc.

anyhow - good luck...
best regards,

Niels.

--

---

  Niels Dettenbach
  ---
  Syndicat IT&Internet
  http://www.syndicat.com
  T.-Muentzer.-Str. 2, 37308 Heilbad Heiligenstadt - DE
  ---
  Kryptoinfo:
  PGP public key ID 651CA20D
  Fingerprint: 55E0 4DCD B04C 4A49 1586  88AE 54DC 4465 651C A20D
  https://syndicat.com/pub_key.asc
  ---