Re: using sockets from a pseudo device?

Johnny Billquist wrote:
Maybe it would be better if you describe what you actually want to do?

I'm not sure that you really should write a device driver in the kernel...
well, for "serious" work (for now) it will be ...., I agree ;=)
I want to get my feet wet - for now.
I followed the docs about pseudo devices: got it working, played with it and feel (almost) happy. The primary idea is to do something like a "remote disk" (knowing, that there is puffs / refuse)

I think, Mathias Scheler's hint to pud(4) is the way to go - even more, as there is an example in the sources.

Thanks
Richard

    Johnny

rfk skrev:
hope, I am not totally wrong here ... ( if so, please tell me where to ask ;=)

trying to make a pseudo device, I would like to connect to a remote server.
However, I was told, it is not possible to do so from a driver ...
(actually I am pretty novice with device drivers)

So here is the question:
writing a pseudo device, can I open and use a socket ?

Thanks for your help

regards
Richard Kästner
Baden / Austria