netstat -g vs ifmcstat

I learned today that netstat -g for multicast group membership seems
to be a SysV-ism and BSDs (at least netbsd and freebsd) seem to use
the root-only ifmcstat command.  This isn't a big deal, but ifmcstat
isn't mentioned in the netstat or ifconfig man pages AND reading the
output is a lot more difficult than netstat -g found on solaris or
linux.

Are there particular reasons why ifmcstat is preferred, why the output
isn't very obvious, and the why man page is very, very short?

Is there any interest in enhancing the man pages in question?  I would
love to see the output added to another row of netstat -g, but I doubt
I could figure out how to add it.

Matt