Re: help? fighting ssh user/password guessing attempts

Well, my company's main business is shared hosting and we do host hundreths of websites with thousands of email accounts on dual core servers.

A php script scans maillog (pop) and eximlog (smtp) for every minute, while another one scans xferlog (ftp) and authlog (ssh) for every 3 minutes. We flush (reset) ipfw firewall rules for every 4 hours.

It does not cause load, or we haven't noticed untill now.

Why php? Well this is because i'm personally a (advanced) php script designer and mysql database administrator. I'm not really good at C++, maybe beginner. I call php to read all log files.

Regards,

Steven M. Bellovin, 10/16/08 16:14:
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:59:50 +0300