atu in hostap mode, netbsd 4.0 i386

Does anyone know if atu can support hostap mode?  The man page
suggests that it can.  From ATU(4):

     Supported features include 802.11 and 802.3 frames, power
     management, BSS, IBSS, ad-hoc, and host-based access point mode.

But here is what I get when I try to ifconfig to hostap mode:

  ifconfig atu0 media DS11 mediaopt hostap up
  ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Invalid argument

dmesg output:

atu0 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
atu0: Linksys WUSB11, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3
atu0: reattaching after firmware upload
atu0: at uhub1 port 2 (addr 3) disconnected
atu0 detached
atu0 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
atu0: Linksys WUSB11, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3
atu0: MAC address 00:0c:41:0f:10:c9

Any ideas?  The annoying part is that I specified tried to order a ral
based usb device, but this one came instead.  Rats.

-russ