Re: What is BSD make?

On Mon 13 Oct 2008 at 01:01:20 +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
> 7. ".for", "!=" and various variable modifiers.

Strangely enough, GNU make only has "ifeq" and "ifne" conditional
commands, not full expressions.

> 4. Makefile.inc
>
> I don't understand, why the path is "${.CURDIR}/../Makefile.inc"
> (see bsd.init.mk).  I'd definitly like to see the path relative
> to ${.PARSEDIR}, it simplifies many things.

In GNU make, included files with relative path names (i.e. all of them,
in  practice) are interpreted relative to the current directory of make,
not something useful as the directory where the including file is, or
for instance the VPATH. This makes it rather difficult or impossible to
make include files which include others, used from different
directories.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert    -- You author it, and I'll reader it.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl      -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.