Re: What is BSD make?

On 10/11/08, Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov%tut.by@localhost> wrote:
> > Am 11.10.2008 um 14:29 schrieb Aleksey Cheusov:
>

>  But "created and maintained by NetBSD team" is very good trademark ;-)
>  This also gives non-BSD developers that this project will not die
>  (becomes unmaintained) in the nearest future.
>
>  I think that NetBSD make + improved and portable mk scripts can be
>  very important project for NetBSD itself.  Everybody knows about GNU
>  and their projects, everybody knows that OpenSSH/SSL came from
>  OpenBSD. Additional reason to make mk scripts more powerful and
>  portable is that portability is one of the main goal of NetBSD and
>  PKGSRC. I think this task is not impossible for NetBSD/pkgsrc developers.
>  You already have required community running everything everywhere ;-)

Wow, I totally agree with this entire thread.  :)

The entire netbsd userland, the build process, and pkgsrc are all
really amazing projects that, in my opinion, deserve more recognition
than they currently get.

And although it's kind of contrary to using make as an autoconf
replacement, a lot of netbsd's userland compiles pretty easily with
auto-tools and pkgsrc's use of them.
(I did a pkg of netbsd's cat, for example)
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2007/09/08/0004.html

Matt
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2007/08/30/0003.html