Re: Unable to fsck 4.5TB FFSv2 fs

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Christos Zoulas wrote:
In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.0809231024100.16305%ugly.precedence.co.uk@localhost>,
Stephen Borrill  <netbsd%precedence.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
I have:

ld1 at aac0 unit 1: RAID 5
ld1: 4656 GB, 607897 cyl, 255 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 9765867520
sectors

Which I formatted with:
newfs -O 2 -f 4096 -b 32768 -I -F -s 9765867520 /dev/rld1d

This worked fine, but apparently (the machine is at a customer's) it
locked and so they power-cycled it and thus it wants to fsck (NetBSD 4.0
so no WAPBL).

This is giving:
** /dev/rld1d
** Last Mounted on /usr/backup
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
cannot alloc 1243616332 bytes for inoinfo
[snip]
Can you try this patch? It should reduce the total space needed, so if you die
in the second alloc, this should probably fix it. I have not tested it, so you
are on your own if it eats your disk, but visually it looks safe.

My first attempt tried to clear every inode which I think was down to an error in hand applying the patch (missed out the memset). So I newfsed and started again. The copy eventually died and the machine dropped to ddb:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2008/09/25/msg002023.html

So I then tried the correctly patched fsck_ffs and its demands have gone up!

** /dev/rld1d
** Last Mounted on /usr/backup
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
cannot alloc 4294967292 bytes for inoinfo

--
Stephen