pf cannot allocate memory

How do I give pf(4) enough memory for my spamd whitelist?

$ sudo make reload
modstat -n pf || modload /usr/lkm/pf.o
Type    Id   Offset Loadaddr Size Info     Rev Module Name
DEV       0  -1/161 cadf0000 0098 cae10da0   2 pf
pfctl -nf pf.conf
/etc/rc.d/pf reload
Reloading pf rules.
/etc/pf.conf:32: cannot define table spamd-white: Cannot allocate memory
pfctl: Syntax error in config file: pf rules not loaded
*** Error code 1

(Someone may wish to note that it appears pfctl assumes a syntax error in
the presence of insufficient memory!)

My pf.conf includes this:

# spamd
table <spamd> persist
table <spamd-white> persist file "/etc/pf/whitelist.txt"
rdr pass on $external inet proto tcp from <spamd> to any \
    port smtp -> 127.0.0.1 port spamd
rdr pass on $external inet proto tcp from !<spamd-white> to any \
    port smtp -> 127.0.0.1 port spamd

My old whitelist was 149 lines; the new one, sigh, is 39,168 (from
http://www.dnswl.org/tech via rsync).

Some days I don't know what's worse: running a mail server or not running
one.

thanks.

--jkl