burning a DVD

I'm trying to burn a DVD from a .iso file.  I'm not having any luck --
what am I doing wrong?

When I simply try 'dvdrecord file.iso', it tells me that the device does
not support TAO recording.  I tried -dao; I got further but still no
joy.  -packet complained that TAO mode wasn't support, and -sao isn't
recognized.  Anything else I can try?  (This is dvdrecord-0.1.5nb2
on two different -current machines, with different drive hardware.)

----

# dvdrecord -dao ~smb/windowsvistasp1.iso
dvdrtools v0.1.4
Portions (c) 2002-2003 Ark Linux <bero%arklinux.org@localhost>
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY
WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with
this program; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
Based on:
scsidev: '/dev/rcd0d'
devname: '/dev/rcd0d'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Using libscg version 'bero-0.5a'
dvdrecord: Warning: using inofficial version of libscg (bero-0.5a
'@(#)scsitransp.c     1.81 01/04/20 Copyright 1988,1995,2000 J. Schilling').
dvdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
(frueauf-scsi-bsd.c-1.40nb1 '@(#)scsi-bsd.c  1.40 01/03/18 Copyright 1997 J.
Schilling').
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identifikation : 'DVDRAM GSA-U10N '
Revision       : '1.05'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 8 in write mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 0 seconds. Operation starts.
trackno=0
dvdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  2A 00 00 08 66 A6 00 00 1E 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 2A 00 00 0C 21 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x02 (logical block address out of range) [No matching
qualifier] Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
resid: 61440
cmd finished after 0.002s timeout 200s