Re: Planning for NetBSD 5.0

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 06:46:33PM +0200, thacrazze wrote:
> Hello
>
> When will NetBSD 5 branched? Is the release in this December or later?

Two questions there.

Firstly, we're currently in feature freeze for NetBSD 5.0, and we're
nearing the end of that period.  There are some things that we still
have to finish off, such as (in no particular order):

+ xorg being able to be built (and cross-built) for i386/amd64
+ wrstuden-revivesa merged and 4.0 SA threaded apps working outta da
box on 5.0
+ you may see an accept filters commit sometime soon
+ wapbl, a new bind9, rump and a newer pf have all recently hit the
tree (there have been other things that we've done, too)

When these are all completed successfully, there's the critical PR
list and the documentation to finish off.

The second question - the release will be when it's ready. 5.0 is
such a whole lot of work and improvements and new features that we
want to give it the release it deserves. If that takes time, then
so be it. It is not as if the release is being kept from anyone -
as of right now, -current is available and running on a lot of
machines out there.

> I hope there is a better release planning for future

I think that maybe you're mistaking lack of public utterance about a
5.0 branch as being that nothing is happening, or that no plans have
been made.  Believe me, nothing could be further from the truth.

Regards,
Alistair