netbsd and RAID and UCR errors on large drives

Gents,

I'm wondering about the algorithm that is implemented in netbsd.
I believe that the most common errors for large drives are single read failures, those errors should be (IMHO) recoverable in a raid set by re-writing the failing blocks
from a working drive.

Discussions suggest, that the non decreasing error rate for drives, will cause in a couple of years (assuming constant capacity increase), a guaranteed UCR while rebuilding a raid system, so the suggestion is to use RAID6 to allow for that.

As I said above some drive failures should be avoidable w/o raid6 and I'm wondering if
netbsd does (or will) implement such a single block recovery ?

Is there another interface into the smart error list than smartctl ?

Anyone knows about that?

ta
thilo