Re: GPL version 4

On Jul 16, 2008, "Morton Harrow" <mharrow%linuxmail.org@localhost> wrote:

> I see with pain in my heart that the GPLv3 doesn't actually give the
> users of GPLv3 software the liberty and freedom the FSF has been
> fighting for. Instead they are forced to play by the strict set of
> terms the GPLv3 provides.

> For example, as a liberated computer user, I might like to incorporate
> a high quality piece of GPLv3 software in a commercial product,

You can do that.  There are lots of commercial products containing
GPLv3 software out there.

> which for bussiness strategic reasons happens to be closed source software.
> But the GPLv3 denies my claim for this freedom to do this.

You are mistaken in several levels.

1. Disrespecting others' freedoms is not a matter of freedom, it's a
matter of power.

2. Nothing in the GPL prevents you from doing any of this.  If there
is something that prevents you from doing this, it's copyright law.
You won't find prohibitions in the GPL.

3. If you're unable to combine third-party GPL-incompatible software
with GPL software, it's because the third party prevented you from
doing this, and you accepted it.  Don't blame the GPL for your
acceptance of such terms.

4. If you decide to not release your own code under the GPL, even
though this stops you from releasing the program you wrote with help
from other authors who chose the GPL, that's your decision.  Don't
blame the GPL for the consequences of your own decisions.