NetBSD 4.0, PCIe Intel Pro/1000 PT support and Core 2 Duo speedstep support

Hi there,

I'm pleased to say that the weird corruption issue that I was having appears to have gone. I'm still not sure if it was just the old Deathstar disk playing up, or the onboard Realtek NIC causing problems. I'm now using neither of those, and it's been fine for a couple of days so far.

My first question is regarding speedstep support. I thought this was now supported, but it doesn't appear to be working for me. I have "options ENHANCED_SPEEDSTEP" in the kernel.

`estd` just throws this at me

(root@homeserver:ttyp0)-(~)# estd
estd: Cannot guess CPU-scaling technology. (maybe you are missing some kernel-option?)

There is also nothing in dmesg regarding speedstep

cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
cpu0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2180  @ 2.00GHz, 2000.13 MHz
cpu0: features: bffbfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR>
cpu0: features: bffbfbff<PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,B20,DS,ACPI,MMX>
cpu0: features: bffbfbff<FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,SBF>
cpu0: features2: e39d<SSE3,MONITOR,DS-CPL,EST,TM2,xTPR>
cpu0: features3: bffbfbff<SYSCALL/SYSRET,XD,EM64T>
cpu0: L2 cache 1 MB 64B/line 4-way
cpu0: calibrating local timer
cpu0: apic clock running at 199 MHz
cpu0: 64 page colors
cpu1 at mainbus0: apid 1 (application processor)
cpu1: starting
cpu1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2180  @ 2.00GHz, 2000.00 MHz
cpu1: features: bffbfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR>
cpu1: features: bffbfbff<PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,B20,DS,ACPI,MMX>
cpu1: features: bffbfbff<FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,SBF>
cpu1: features2: e39d<SSE3,MONITOR,DS-CPL,EST,TM2,xTPR>
cpu1: features3: bffbfbff<SYSCALL/SYSRET,XD,EM64T>
cpu1: L2 cache 1 MB 64B/line 4-way
ioapic0 at mainbus0 apid 2 (I/O APIC)
ioapic0: pa 0xfec00000, version 20, 24 pins
ioapic0: misconfigured as apic 0
ioapic0: remapped to apic 2
acpi0 at mainbus0: Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
acpi0: using Intel ACPI CA subsystem version 20060217
acpi0: X/RSDT: OemId <GBT   ,GBTUACPI,42302e31>, AslId <GBTU,01010101>
acpi0: SCI interrupting at int 9
acpi0: fixed-feature power button present
timecounter: Timecounter "ACPI-Fast" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 1000
ACPI-Fast 24-bit timer
ACPI Object Type 'Processor' (0x0c) at acpi0 not configured
ACPI Object Type 'Processor' (0x0c) at acpi0 not configured
ACPI Object Type 'Processor' (0x0c) at acpi0 not configured
ACPI Object Type 'Processor' (0x0c) at acpi0 not configured

Perhaps it is something to do with those last 4 lines?

My second question is regarding support for an Intel Pro/1000 PT PCIe NIC. Specifically http://www.ebuyer.com/product/127356. Before I waste my money, can anyone tell me for certain that these are working? :)

Other than that, I am impressed!

Network transfers are now at the full 10MB/s where before it maxed out at around 6MB/s, with same NIC.

I can't quite remember now, but RAIDframe RAID1 hard disk performance may have gone up by about 20MB/s too. I'm sure a `dd if=/dev/rraidXd of=/dev/null bs=16k` before was 30MB/s ish, and now it's 50MB/s ish, with the same disks. Whether those numbers mean anything is a totally different matter though I suppose. :)

Cheers,
--
Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen%gmail.com@localhost>