Re: Manually creating slices

On Nov 29, 10:47am, James Colannino wrote:
} John Nemeth wrote:
} > On Nov 29,  9:38am, James Colannino wrote:
} > } John Nemeth wrote:
} > }
} > } > Ultimately the solution to all these problems is GPT.  However,
} > } > I don't know if your BIOS supports booting from a GPT disk.  See
} > } > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table for more
} > } > information.
} > }
} > } I'll have to look into that.  I've used GPT in the past on Linux, but
} > } that was with non-bootable partitions, so the BIOS wasn't an issue.  Are
} > } there GPT-capable tools in NetBSD (assuming I can boot from it)?  The
} >
} >      gpt(8) for dealing with the partition table.  Then you create
} > wedges to represent the partitions (see 'man dkctl').
}
} I've run into a problem with gpt.  I installed NetBSD on another hard
} drive, since the install CD doesn't appear to have either dkctl or gpt,
} and when I try to run gpt on ld0, I get the following errors:
}
} #gpt create -f ld0
}
} gpt: unable to open device 'rld0d': no such file or directory

     I'm not sure what version of NetBSD you're using, but the release
versions don't have drvctl in the GENERIC kernel, which is needed for
gpt.  Can you type 'drvctl -p ld0' and show the output, please?

}-- End of excerpt from James Colannino