Re: Trouble partitioning disk

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 01:16:08PM -0700, James Colannino wrote:
> Hey everyone.  I'm attempting to install the x86_64 version of NetBSD 4.0.
> I have a 1.4TB disk, and the installer seems to recognize the geometry of
> the disk ok.  However, when it gets to the point where I need to create
> partitions, it says that the total amount of space on the disk is negative,
> which tells me there's some integer value that's overflowing.
>
> I'm guessing that others have installed NetBSD on volumes larger than this,
> so does anyone know why I'm having problems?  Thanks!

Well, the on-disk MBR and NetBSD disklabel structure uses uint32_t
to store partition location and size as a LBA.  2^32 sectors
works out to 2TiB of storage.  So, the only issue is that signed
and unsigned quantities are being mixed in sysinst.  Fixing
that wouldn't solve the real issue though.

Easiest thing would probably be to use a smaller (under 1TiB) disk for
the system drive.  GPT could be used on non-boot drives.

This doesn't really help, but it should at least explain things.

        Jonathan Kollasch