Re: Greetings and first question

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Samuel Partida
<samuel.partida%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> First of all I would like to greet all the people in the list, I've
> been reading and working with NetBSD from some months after trying
> other *nix tastes.
>
> Now here comes my first problem:
>
> We have a little box with NetBSD which was installed by an ex-admin in
> my company. The worst thing is that the machine has a CCD configured
> with some files which need to be salvaged.
>
> The CCD is composed of two 500Gb SATA disks, the disklabels from both
> disks are lost and the disklabel from the CCD disk is lost too.
>
> I've tried from de /var/backups disklabels but doesn't work (when
> tried to mount it says incorrect superblock :( ).
> I've tried scan_ffs -l but the info it gives doesn't work neither.
>
> I'm afraid to force a fsck_ffs because i've read it can corrupt the
> data definitively.
>
> Is there any way to get my CCD device working again? Should I still
> playing with disklabels?
>
> These are the disklabel output:
>
> # disklabel wd1
> # /dev/rwd1d:
> type: ESDI
> disk: SAMSUNG HD501LJ
> label: fictitious
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 63
> tracks/cylinder: 16
> sectors/cylinder: 1008
> cylinders: 969021
> total sectors: 976773168
> rpm: 3600
> interleave: 1
> trackskew: 0
> cylinderskew: 0
> headswitch: 0           # microseconds
> track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
> drivedata: 0
>
> 4 partitions:
> #        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
>  a: 976773168         0     4.2BSD      0     0     0  # (Cyl.      0 -
> 969020)
>  d: 976773168         0     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.      0 -
> 969020)
>

> # disklabel wd2
> # /dev/rwd2d:
> type: ESDI
> disk: SAMSUNG HD501LJ
> label: fictitious
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 63
> tracks/cylinder: 16
> sectors/cylinder: 1008
> cylinders: 969021
> total sectors: 976773168
> rpm: 3600
> interleave: 1
> trackskew: 0
> cylinderskew: 0
> headswitch: 0           # microseconds
> track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
> drivedata: 0
>
> 4 partitions:
> #        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
>  a: 976773168         0     4.2BSD      0     0     0  # (Cyl.      0 -
> 969020)
> [...]

You didn't say, so I'll ask:
Do you have the passphrase?  (I assume so since you're actually trying
to get at the data)

Make a backup immediately before changing anything else.  Using dd
should work for this.

From there, you should (assuming file(1) shows the backup to be a
filesystem) be able to mess around with the dd copy (or a copy of that
copy) with vnd/vnconfig and get the data without losing anything.

Good luck,
Matt